Saturday, September 15, 2012

Bay, Breeze, and Freebies

It's difficult to do anything in the city when you're attempting to be frugal. You're trying to save up every penny you have to buy a new car, 'cause some obnoxious dude with his seat leaning back crashed into your car when he couldn't brake on time. And his insurance isn't responding.  So you can't spend on frivolities knowing that every.penny.counts.

What do you do on the weekend?

Your peers only think of going out to eat, or seeing a $20 movie (that will be exactly like every other movie you've seen), or they want to go shopping for yet another pair of skinny jeans.

What can you do?

Necessity is the mother of invention, but since we're not actually inventing anything, creativity is the name of the game. Luckily, it's not very difficult to do so when there is so much going on in the city. All that's required is a good attitude, a sense of adventure, and a bit of spontaneity.

A bit of research lead me to Cutler Bay area, where the big beautiful puffy clouds kissed the bay, palm trees extended a welcome over shaded benches, and the words "free admission today" made my heart (and wallet) smile.
I had been dreaming of going to the Deering Estate since...well, I can't remember how long since. It's a rare thing to get in free (I've been keeping my eye on it for years), but this summer they've had a couple of free days.

I explored the old houses (they don't make 'em like that anymore!), sauntered through mangrove in the nature trail, sat down to enjoy the salty breeze, and even ate free food.


What, free food?

I totally wasn't expecting that one, either. There was some children's event earlier in the day. Food vendors were packing up and bequeathed their superfluous goods to a very grateful young lass and her posse. Got free snow cones, free soda, and even free exotic fruit. The good folks from the Fruit and Spice Park were anxious to deposit their fruit on an obliging stomach: longans, jackfruit (not a fan), and wonderful star fruit--which I haven't tried since my preschool days. Oh, it was de-li-cious! It tastes like tropical sunshine. Seriously. What's more, I got to take an avocado home! Win!

It's the little things that make life grand. Grateful for a such a splendid day.










Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your kind words are appreciated!