Saturday, September 1, 2012

Neo-Transatlantic Girl

Neo-transatlantic. That is what you become when you speak with a hybrid of different accents influenced by location, population and modernity. You don't exactly speak Southern, you don't speak urban, either; you're influenced by classic literature and you know a sufficient amount of foreign language phrases.

Welcome to my world.


I live in an eclectic society in an eclectic age. I am modern yet value classic manners; I live in one of the largest urban areas in the nation yet I prefer small-town charm; I strive to survive in a dog-eat-dog metropolis but I try to live out southern hospitality. Though English is my dominant language, I am multilingual and constantly interject French or Italian phrases in conversation. I read so much Jane Austen that I often forget the American pronunciation of "schedule," "recipe," and "premiere."


I watch so many foreign films that I can imitate that musical Indian accent from Bollywood flicks, I understand British jargon from watching Masterpiece Theatre, and all those classic black-and-white films are teaching me to polish my style, etiquette and sass.


Irish recipes may be the usual go-to for dinner, but I LOVE Greek cuisine. I think tea time should be resurrected, and in the mean time I enjoy espresso, smoothie or cafe-con-leche breaks.


  Is this nature or nurture? Perhaps it's both.

It's the resurgence of neo-transatlanticism. Grace and suavity for a new age.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Your kind words are appreciated!