Monday, February 18, 2013

Give Me Oak Trees



Source



If there is one thing I begrudge Miami urban planning and developing, it's the lack of beautiful trees in the city. There is nothing like the beauty of a royal poinciana in full bloom, or a majestic oak draped in a veil of Spanish moss. Or even a Florida red maple in golden splendor. (Yes, we CAN grow maples down here. I've seen a couple hiding out).

All we have are cliche palm trees. How original, not.

Granted, Coral Gables and Coconut Grove try with very few banyans and a few graceless oaks on select ritzy streets...but it's insignificant in number considering the size of the county.

Pick up the pace, Miami-Dade!

If you drive further north just about an hour from here, you begin to see glimpses of REAL trees. Trees that speak of tradition, custom, southern charm.  You see what Florida is supposed to look like.



Today I feel like writing a Walt Whitmanesque poem for Miami:




Give me the splendid silent sun sparkling through majestic oaks,
Give me a field where unmow'd grass undisturbed grows.
Give me trees laced with bridal veils of delicate white moss,
Give me an arbor, lining streets like a canopy,
Give me the beauty that once freely grew,
Give me back the heritage that Flagler once knew.
Give me golden at sunrise a park of flowers where I can walk and dream,
Give me afternoons sitting under a sheltering tree,
Give me a city where trees and nature can grow free.

Keep your buildings and businesses--your ceaseless traffic--your tiring schedules.
Keep your interminable eyes, and busy streets, and tiresome crowds.
Keep your mass-produced housing, your cookie cutter plans,
Keep your pointless, barren, manicured palms,
Keep your concrete, your construction, your modern ways.

Give me back porches and gardens, the romance we once loved.
Give me back undeveloped glory, untainted southern life.
Give me back unspoilt beauty, the beauty that Ponce saw thrive.
Give me back the richness of Florida, the Miami that once was.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Your kind words are appreciated!